Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Life in the 951

Tuesday, March 11, 2008
for Caroline - the other C.A.H.!

OK, I've been thinking about this blog for a long time and I am finally writing it....

Kevin and Bean on Kroq make fun of the 909/951 all the time because we are the boondocks in comparison to the great metropolis of Los Angeles. A lot of what they say is true, a lot is false. It all makes for good comedy so who really cares? Even when that retarded teen soap opera "The OC" showed my home city of Chino as a virtual ghetto infested by drug dealers and unsavory characters, I had to laugh. But I digress.

I was transferred to a different work office last October. The city is called WILDOMAR and the only reason why I even knew it was one of my bosses a long time ago lived in Wildomar. When I started the commute to Wildomar, I found myself perplexed by the names of the freeway exits I kept passing by. Had I suddenly crossed a threshold onto the Twilight Zone of the Wild Wild West somehow???? Here are some of the names of exits I pass every day:

Indian Truck Trail --- I am really waiting for some tribe to take offense to this name and see it changed to "Native Peoples of America Vehicle Trail"

Diamond Drive / Railroad Canyon Road --- whenever I see this one, I think of that runaway locamotive in Back to The Future III. I have no idea why, that is how my brain just works.

Bundy Canyon Road --- There aren't any actual canyons around here, so I don't know why there are so many streets with "canyon" in the name. Surrounding hills and valleys do not a canyon make!

Clinton Keith Road --- this is actually the exit for my office. I feel like there should be a country singer named Clinton Keith. If there was, he would surely be singing with a crazy Tennessee hills twang about how he received a postcard from his spouse the week after she passed away. You know what song I am talking about, right? Stupid country music.

That's just a taste of the wierdness of the names out here. There are other streets I've come across like Winchester Road, Wooden Horse Trail, Coal Road, Horsethief Canyon Road, etc etc etc etc. I feel like I should come to work every day on a horse wearing denim jeans with suede chaps, cowboy boots with spurs, a plaid shirt, a bandana around my neck, a low-slung gunbelt studded around with spare bullets, and a 10-gallon hat.

Allrighty there pardner, that's all I have to say about that.

No comments: